For those not in the know, my first exposure to the theater was as a performer - first in HS, then in college. As much as I loved it, I never had that moment where I proclaimed "This is what I want to do for the rest of my life." I was definitely falling in love with the theater, but just not as a performer.
Maybe that's why many of my "non-theatre" friends never did see me perform onstage. Since it was just a hobby there was no sense of obligation to support me. Regardless, it never stopped someone from asking the same question after one of my productions.
"Did you tape it?"
All these years later and it still makes my skin crawl and the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Yes it was always said with thoughtfulness and well meaning but the idea that someone thinks that they could have the same experience from watching a single camera video recording of a theatrical performance has always hurt my heart.
The magic of the theater is sharing a unique experience live and in the moment. No matter how well trained and experienced a cast is, no two performances are ever alike. The combination of actor and audience is a unique mix, creating the magic of theatre night in and night out.
There is a big different in a performance between a Wednesday matinee crowd and a Saturday night crowd. Even a bigger difference with a student matinee. Different doesn't mean better or worse, just different. Almost every actor I've ever known has always enjoyed student matinees as younger audiences will bring a different energy to he performance and will most likely have different reactions at different moments of the show.
The biggest reason I left radio was the lack of intimacy with the audience. I remember clearly sitting in the studio around 3:30 am all alone, speaking into a microphone and wondering if anyone was listening to me. I missed the immediacy of a theater audience where you know instantly whether or not a moment connects with the audience or not. Call me insecure,but I craved the immediate gratification that can only be achieved in the performing arts.
Yes, most (if not all ) productions make recordings of their productions. These are archival and are intended as historical recordings of these productions, not as entertainment. If a recording of a play could translate onto film as is,the 3 camera format and the modern sitcom would have never been created!
Of course the reasons I've laid out here that I believe make the theater so magical also work against it, but that's a topic for another blog post........ :)
In closing I leave you with a quote shared with me by my dear, dear friend and first theaterical collaborator Jenn Dressel:

No comments:
Post a Comment