I was asked a question last week.
How do I justify working for an institution that I felt wasn’t
representative of who I am?
Despite 20+ years in the arts, it’s a question I’ve never
grappled with before.
My initial and honest response was that I wasn’t sure if I
could answer it. The person asking me
was surprised and felt sure that if anyone could articulate it properly it
would be me.
But I’m not quite sure I can.
Later that evening, I saw a piece of theatre that was
stunning and moving and beautiful. Before
I saw it, I lamented that no one of color was associated with it and it made me
sad. After seeing it and being moved by the
drama – by a piece that stretched across racial, social and economical lines
and that stirred my soul, it inspired and saddened me even more so. After seeing it, it didn’t bother me anymore
that no one that looked like me was associated with the creation of the. What made me sad is that I want people who
look like me, and have same and shared experiences like me, and are capable of
creating art like that, to have that kind of opportunity for it to be seen and for
them to shine.
Ultimately – my selfish motivation is for an organization/company/theater
that’s more representative of me – that’s what I hope and inspire for. To have that sense of self worth and pride
that someone like me can create something beautiful like that.
3 days later I experienced another show that was equally amazing. A story with characters that spoke upon the human
condition in a real and poignant way.
Characters who felt real and alive, galvanized by dynamic
performances. I left this theater
feeling happy and optimistic. This play
had characters that felt and looked like people I know. There were characters onstage that I could
relate to on a level that happens very rarely.
This wasn't what you would call a “Latin play” or a “Spanish play”. Quiara AlgerÍa Hudes’ WATER BY THE SPOONFUL
is a superlative drama, which happens to feature characters of Puerto Rican
descent. It’s not about being Puerto
Rican or any other clichéd plot that audiences have had to endure over the
years. This is the kind of theatrical
experience I always hope for – entertaining drama that represents a part of who
I am. Kudos to Second Stage for bringing
this play to NYC and for giving it the world class production it deserves. And thank you for restoring my hope……………
This was a great honest post. Thank you for sharing. I can sit down and talk for hours on this subject. And I'm not one sided about it. I used to be. Not anymore. Quiara is a perfect example of how it can be done and done well. This Latino issue is a complicated one. There is no easy fix. Artists must learn to become great...not just good.
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda!
ReplyDelete